Monday, October 16, 2006

We Don’t Suck!


It’s great to see the Mets swinging some major lumber again (and no, I couldn’t find a way to phrase that that didn’t sound dirty.) Props to David Wright for (finally) finding the groove, and Carlos Beltran for two big whallops. Whatever Willie said to them between Saturday’s game and last night, I hope it sticks. I hope they stop swinging at rotten pitches and making errors in the field and leaving guys on base and using Steve Trachsel at all. I hope that when Randolph calls for Billy “One Run” Wagner in relief, I hope we have a two-run lead. I hope Glavine can pitch tonight on short rest as well as he pitched in Game 1.

Sadly, though, even if the boys pull it out with their hobbled starting rotation and beat the Cards, Detroit is going to whomp our butts in four (your official Opus prediction here). They’ll take St. Louis in four, too, if fate swings in the other direction.

Even so…go Mets! Even if it’s just to see a World Series played in New York at “that other” stadium.

Meanwhile, I hope Detroit is sitting back not just resting and waiting but letting their momentum die… (and now I’m truly going to hell)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

M-E-T-S Mets! Mets! Mets! (Oh, wait, isn't that a football cheer?)

I like our chances against Detroit better than St. Louis. The Tigers got off to a super start but then sputtered toward the finish. Their best days may be behind them, they may be too cock-sure, and how many more "career" games can Kenny Rogers pitch? (But then there's the Leyland factor to consider. Hmmm. No official predictions from here yet.)

St. Louis has been on a roll, and you know that adage, Good Pitching Beats Good Hitting? What does poor pitching beat? That's where the Mets are. They've got to keep the thunda in the lumba for two more games, or keep praying for rain.

Laurie Boris said...

Hey, the cheer works for any not-to-cumbersome team name.

So does R-A-I-N Rain! Rain! Rain!

I'm not having such a good feeling about the thunda. Gotta stop beating ourselves before we can think about Detroit.

Even if...poor pitching beats...a full house, I guess.