Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Some Much Overdue Recognition

Some of you have noticed that I’ve finally figured out how to make links on this thing, so I’ve added some long overdue links to some fellow bloggers and I hope you take a few minutes to check out their sites.

At Miserable Annals of the Earth, my old buddy Highlander writes (quite well and quite prolifically, I might add) mainly about role playing games and comic books with the occasional firebrand dip into politics. He also has links to his novels and many, many short stories.

SuperFiancee’s The Oral Report is by turns eloquent and humorous as she writes about her family, her community, her job, and also with the occasional firebrand dip into politics. (Hey, how can we avoid such things these days?

AaA is also into role-playing games and has some fascinating and well-articulated opinions about life in “this here United States.” Plus he knows stuff. And really likes apples.

Thanks for your comments and support, guys. Anyone else out there have a blog I don't know about? Now that I know how to link, watch out!

There’s also something else on this page that you might not have seen before. It’s a link to all my stuff from Associated Content, so in case you’ve missed any of my shamelessly self-promoting e-mails, you can check out my latest articles. If any of you are interested in writing for them, it’s not a bad gig…they don’t pay much but it’s a good way to get your toe in the water and get some publication credits. Just go to their home page to register.

It’s been an interesting trip for me, writing these articles. When I took my first course on writing for the web, oh, very many years ago when Marketing types were hot hot hot to get a “web presence” for their companies and figure out how to make lots of money from all those eyeballs, I came away with two basic tenets: write punchy (and that doesn’t mean on three hours of sleep or less or three beers or more), and take whatever you usually write for a magazine, etc. and cut the number of words in half. I don’t remember learning a damned thing about keyword density, getting higher placement in search engines, and the importance of a good headline.

But it’s good to learn new things. Keeps the brain fresh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have a blog. And glad I don't.

Nate said...

Lol, yeah, my super-power is 'knowing stuff'. I'm not a master of anything, but I'm at least conversational in nearly everything from astrophysics to zoology.

I've often thought that my intended function in life was to act as a diplomatic aid who attends international scientific gatherings and acts as an interpreter for all of the attendees. I can translate Astrophysics to: English, Medicine, and Psychopharmacology, and several other languages as well.

That or I should be writing intructions for electronic products, technical journals, hardcore science textbooks, and the like. I have a knack for translating Geekish, Techish, and Politician to Layman.

If either is true, then I am leading a badly badly misspent life.

Oh... (looks around for Yankee fans) GO METS!!! Wooooooooooooo!!

Laurie Boris said...

pote: And what a blog you would have (if you would)!

aaa: I think my purpose, in an alternate universe, was to be a hurricane hunter. Or a nutritionist. But I'm glad I'm a writer. And wooooooooooo! back! METS!

And happy birthday. I didn't know.

SuperWife said...

Thanks for the plug (along with the very generous and very kind comments), Opus! Hooray on discovering the wonder of links!

Okay, the Mets thing, too...;)