Saturday, April 01, 2006

Zen and the Art of Misdirection

"It is what it is."

A lot of people have been telling me this lately. Usually people who have no stake in anything I happen to be experiencing; meaning, it’s very easy for them to say.

The deeper meaning is something that I’ve been puzzling over. My interest in Zen philosophy has been growing lately, and it goes deeper than the trite sayings on my teabag tags.

No, don’t run away, I’m not going to turn this blog into a Zen-a-thon. Unless that’s what it needs to be.. ;)

I’ve just been wondering about those five words at the top of this post. My take on it is that you just have to play your hand, lie in your bed, deal with what you have, and all those clichés. But where do the cards in the deck play against personal choice and responsibility?

OK, so today I’m tired, I’m having some muscle aches, but it’s going to rain and I had a busy week for me, so it is what it is. Tomorrow might be different. Today, this is the piece of cake I’ve been served so I’m wasting my energy getting angry or depressed or upset that I don’t feel as good as I felt yesterday, or as good as I might feel tomorrow.

But the hellhole of my house – since neither of us has summoned the energy it would take to clean, can I write that off too? It’s a mess and it is what it is until someone decides to do something about it.

And my undone taxes? Since our lives are what they are right now, I’m sure the IRS would understand if we’re a few months late, or frankly, never get around to it at all?

And the hellhole of Washington – since none of our leaders seem to have the political will to stand up against the slow deconstruction of our civil rights, environment and economy, and our protests are in vain because it seems that those who can do something about them choose not to look out the window, should we also then take a Zen-like stance, say it is what it is for now, go home, kick back with a beer and watch American Idol until someone reasonable takes the helm?

God, I hope not. Especially now that the blogosphere has been “officially” allowed to bloviate to its collective hearts’ content about political-speak (like anyone ever had a right to regulate it to begin with?), I hope there’s another Gandhi out there, a Tom Paine, a Rosa Parks. Maybe it will be one of you. Because it won’t be me.

For me, it is what it is, and when I have the energy, there are other fights I need to fight.

But wouldn’t that be a scary thought, the Bush administration suddenly adopting Zen philosophy as its official political line? Dubya getting on TV telling the American public something like this: "The situation we're in is just going to be this way until it isn’t anymore, and you’re only wasting your valuable life force getting upset with all your letters and protests. So why don’t you-all in those blue states make yourselves a cup of herbal tea and meditate, or if that doesn’t work, our wonderful pharmaceutical industry would be glad to give you more information about a number of products that might be helpful.

"Your next good night’s sleep could be brought to you by Lunesta.

"Or just by accepting that it is what it is."

For now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Opus, "it is what it is" demands honesty, not compliance, although compliance is easier for some people. Look at it, whatever "it" is, without sentimentality, excuses, pride, whatever, and see it, in its reality. Only then can you decide what, if anything, you want to do about "it." Some people call it conscious living, some the examined life, I often call it hell, but I can do anything, litterally anything, if I am willing to accept the consequences. I just have to see "it" for what it is, my actions for what they are/will or might be, and make the best choice I can.

Laurie Boris said...

MEP: Good point. I often call it hell myself. But I'm new at this mindfulness biz. Thanks for the response.