Wednesday, April 26, 2006

This is your brain. This is your brain after 16 years of marriage

(Op's note: I'm off to work today. But this happened yesterday. I swear.)

-----

At around noon, Husband rolls out of bed and comes downstairs. (He is a night owl, for those of you who don't know our normal routine). He flops down on the couch to get the headlines from Fox News before he starts his day. At this point, I'm in the dining room, eating lunch and working on the New York Times crossword puzzle (for those of you who don't know our normal routine). He comes up to me with this weird gleam in his eyes and says, "So two people died at Nascar yesterday. How do you think they died?"

"Crash," I say.

"No, they were spectators."

"OK. Tires flew off the cars and crushed them."

"Nope."

"You're not going to tell me, are you?"

From his eyes it looks like he's having too much fun with the fact that two people died in some strange way, which I find a little bit frightening. "Guess," he says. What's the strangest way two spectators could die?"

I am just bored enough or curious enough to play this game. "Uh...a Jeff Gordon fan got tired of a Dale Earnhardt fan razzing him so Jeff's guy brained Dale's guy with a tire iron and a third spectator pulled out his Leatherman and took Jeff's guy out because he's a Tony Stewart fan and hated both of the other guys."

"Nope," he said, but I bet he was damned impressed with my knowledge of Nascar guys.

Meanwhile, I'm getting tired. "Was beer involved?"

He shook his head.

"For God's sake, tell me already."

"Two guys were in the camping area setting up a trailer, and they were hanging an American flag over the top and they snagged some wires and got fried."

"And you find this amusing," I said, totally deadpan.

He looks disappointed that I don't find it funnier. "No. Just strange."

The irony of the joke is in there, I'm sure, just under too many layers for either of us to ferret it out. For me, because I don't feel like bothering, and frankly, it disturbs me, and for him, because he's sleep deprived and as yet non-caffeinated.

Maybe when he's awake for a few hours he'll either realize that what he said was either deeply disturbing or brilliantly ironic.

I'm still waiting.

2 comments:

Nate said...

See, now if they had only gotten partially fried, but in the process, the flag caught fire, and a mob of angry NASCAR fans rushed them and finished them off, that would have been hysterically funny.

As is, the story just doesn't quite reach funny.

Laurie Boris said...

Yeah. I agree. THAT would have been funny....

Sometimes I'm not quite sure about that man's sense of humor....