Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Luck of the Draw

If you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to have cable TV, it would be hard not to notice the sudden explosion of televised poker games on the higher channels – celebrity poker, tournament level poker, who the hell knows what else showing people with chips and cards and, apparently, too much time on their hands. Poker to me used to be what Oscar and Felix played in their smoke-filled apartment, it’s what my grandfather played with his cronies (when they were bored with pinochle). It existed only in movies, cigars hanging out of the guys’ mouths, or at drunken parties, when the inevitable strip poker came up in the conversation. Not that I’ve ever participated in things like that, never.

Frankly, I suck at poker. I never know what to hold onto, what to throw back, how to look like I’m holding a pair of threes when I really have straight flush, ten high.

But I’ve been thinking about the game lately. Because more and more, when I have lousy days, or read some self-help book written by a person who has never really been in my situation (or has but never conquered it), the phrase, “you’ve got to play the hand you’ve been dealt” pops up.

Depending on the day, my hand seems to range from that pair of threes to a full house. But I suppose I should consider myself lucky. My life now would have been a royal flush if I lived in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, where a woman could get her hands cut off for reading, if not worse. Or rural Africa, where ritual female circumcision still exists as part of their cultural norm. Or Nazi Germany.

I should count my blessings. I have a house that nobody is trying (actively) to bomb out of existence, enough to eat, a family that loves me, a wonderful husband. I’m not running from Nazis or begging in the streets or picking the detritus of my life out of a pile of rubble in Tennessee or New Orleans.

Hell. I could compare myself to any disaster anywhere. But this is still my hand. My disaster. And people keep trying to tell me that God (or whatever reasonable facsimile of a dealer is up there) won’t take my cards back.

In the bigger picture, what does this say about us as a culture that we find watching other people play poker entertaining? That “Deal or No Deal”, the game show hosted embarrassingly by Howie Mandel (Oh, Howie, how could it have come to this? Did you learn nothing from Louie Anderson?) that hinges entirely on luck is suddenly such a big hit?

Maybe we want to sit back with our pair of threes or straight flush and see if someone else can do better? Or secretly do we want to watch someone else crap out so we feel better about our own fate?

Maybe.

But I’m throwing this analogy back into the pot. Oh, Heavenly Dealer, take back your stinkin’ cards. I’d rather play chess. I’m better at it, and even though in the cosmic picture I know I’d be up against Garry Kasparov or that giant computer, but at least I’d have the illusion that I have some kind of control.

4 comments:

Doc Nebula said...

I stink at chess. It's a good thing you and I have had no actual contact for twenty years, though, or I'd have gotten you seriously addicted to Magic: the Gathering back in the 90s.

Well, I'd have tried.

I've kicked the Magic habit, myself, but now I've replaced cardboard crack with plastic crack (HeroClix) so it's no great achievement.

It's geeky of me, but it seems to me you could use a good RPG. Aren't there any gamers in your area?

Laurie Boris said...

RPG...somehow that sounds like something I'd need a blood test for afterward...

I think there are gamers here...MEP (who reads RFG but doesn't read comments) has two sons into it...I think...but I'm afraid that I'm easily double the age of anyone who is into that around here. Hey, I could be den mother. Bring snacks, give them advice about girls...

Doc Nebula said...

RPG...somehow that sounds like something I'd need a blood test for afterward...

Feh. How you front. As if you'd have forgotten cleaning out Scott's dungeon (as Fleetwood) alongside my Colossus. Oh, how we made those villains fly! I haven't forgotten your original creation Lynx, either. Hmmmph. Yes. Say 'rpg' with that tone of disdain again, you... you amnesiac, you. ;)

Laurie Boris said...

Feh? Hey, I say that all the time...

And Scott dropped me head-first off of a giant purple cube, if I remember correctly....maybe that caused the amnesia...