Thursday, February 09, 2006

Misery loves company

A short one today because I’m grumpy. And when I’m grumpy I like to spread it around. Your pet peeves encouraged. Have fun!

Amazon women at the Y – to prove how much weight they’ve been pumping, they shut the shower faucet so tight that those of us who don’t look like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2 can’t turn it on.

Doesn’t that thing come with an ashtray? – People who flick cigarette butts out the windows of their cars.

No, really, I’ve seen them do it. – People who smoke in supermarkets.

Just ‘cause it’s on doesn’t mean I’m out – Damn it, leave a message so husband and I don’t stand there staring stupidly at each other asking, “wonder who called?” And if that’s your idea of a joke, then I hope you break out in a rash.

Get a grammar book, for Pete’s sake – Journalists who write “completely destroyed” (Destroyed means Destroyed. Done. Gone. Nothing left but the rubble.). Radio journalists who pronounce the “t” in often.

TV news – Ditch the crawl. Remember when crawls were reserved for things we absolutely needed to know, like there’s a tornado coming or someone important had died. Not only have they lost all meaning, but they’re a distracting nuisance. Especially when husband and I watch TV news together. He’s watching and listening, I’m reading. I make a joke about something I read on the crawl and he misses it completely because he’s watching Rumsfeld in front of a microphone or something getting blown up and then he looks at me like I’m nuts. And the reverse, when he’s laughing over some squirrel run through a domino maze and I’m reading how much blew up in Afghanistan that day. No wonder we all have ADD.

More journalist pet peeves – Commentators who pronounce Latin countries with Latin accents, even if they’re from South Dakota. If we’re doing this to be politically correct, then why don’t we pronounce the names of Islamic countries properly? If Bush can wrap his lips around them, so can that blond doofus guy on the Fox morning show. Also, commentators who smile while they talk. Stop it. It’s creepy. It makes you look like a politician.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pet peeves, huh? Would love to think I don't, but I have a few...hundred. I won't list them all, but here are a couple. (And please don't think that I'm directing this at you, Opus...unless of course, you're one of those people.

1) People who refuse to use turn signals when they are driving. I KNOW you know where you're going, the purpose of the damned things is so that I will know where you're going and can adjust my path accordingly. It's not all about you. And it's not all about trying to "trick" the other drivers into thinking you're doing something that you're not. Quit playing games and drive your damned car. It's point "A" to point "B", don't lose your objective.

2) People who are consistently late. To anything. If you tell me to meet you somewhere at a specific time, I expect you to honor that committment. If something happens, I expect you to contact me and let me know. Your time is not more valuable than mine. Try not to forget that.

Laurie Boris said...

Nope, I don't do either of these things. No offense taken.

#2 Especially bugs me at doctor's offices. Why are they so important that they get to screw with my day and leave me in a room filled with uncomfortable furniture and three-year-old magazines?