Sunday, February 12, 2006

Happy birthday, Mom!!!

A short poem for my mother on the day before her birthday,
When there’s too much snow to travel to New Jersey

For all the things you taught me….

…that no matter how much my teachers whine,
it’s OK to color outside the lines.

…that wherever I play, at whichever house I choose,
I shouldn’t leave without my shoes.

…that when you’re smarter than the boys,
you should carry yourself with pride and poise.

…that if you’re on the highway, out of gas,
if you’re wearing a bikini you’ll get help fast.

…that if you have a leek, bouillon cubes and lemon peel,
you can still make a gourmet meal.

…that all things can be borne, every strife, trial and rumor,
as long as you keep your sense of humor.

And lest we forget, imagine husband and I singing this in two-part harmony:

Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday Dear Mom
Happy Birthday To You…..

(Mike, am I supposed to pay someone ASCAP royalties now or what?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you couldn't get through, but your love did and I feel very special. Much love. Mom

Laurie Boris said...

Thanks!!!! Have a great dinner...

Doc Nebula said...

Hm. Last I heard (that would be a SPORTS NIGHT ep from about ten years back) you still couldn't sing 'Happy Birthday To You' on TV or in a movie, because it was still under copyright... one reason so many productions choose to substitute 'For He's A Jolly Good Fellow' or some such in their own birthday scenes, however false that may ring.

The SPORTS NIGHT ep in question was pretty funny, with Dan Reidel going around to all the cast members in disgust and asking them which public domain song they'd like to have sung to them on the air, instead of 'Happy Birthday'.