Sunday, May 14, 2006

Thanks, George

I was desperate a good laugh this morning and I have to thank George Stephanopoulos for supplying one.

Husband came downstairs when I was in the dining room scribbling in my journal, basically a lot of crap about how rotten I felt and that I had nothing worthy of writing about today. Grumpy himself from being woken up by the neighbor’s lawnmower (such is the fate of a night owl in Mayberry), he plops on the sofa and turns on the Sunday news shows. This is our Sunday morning routine. There used to be more coffee involved and sometimes pancakes, but things change.

Then one written word led to another and I was thinking about Mother’s Day, remembering the adorably awful craft-type things I gave to my mother, popsicle-stick jewelry boxes and the like. (Happy Mother’s Day, Mom, I’ll call you later) I was tuning out the blah-blah from the TV, when I heard Husband burst out laughing. He paraphrased what had happened.

George was interviewing Laura Bush. Basically he asked her about her husband’s dismal poll numbers. She defended W, saying that there’s so much trouble going on in the world today, it’s been difficult. George asked her how she handles it. She said she thinks about all the other people in the world who are going through troubles, all the countries in conflict, and then she thinks about our own Civil War and how polarized the country was and how difficult it must have been for the Lincolns.

“Yes,” George said, “But Lincoln made it through that relatively unscathed.”

Except for that mortal bullet wound, I imagine.

1 comment:

Nate said...

We should be so lucky.