Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Blame Game

A horrible tragedy happens, and we look for someone to blame.

The epoxy failed. Somebody sold the sick kid a gun. The project went to the lowest bidder.

The rubble is still settling around the Minnesota overpass, and the media is there, compasses out, wanting to know where to point the finger.

I suppose this is only natural, the human thing to do. We simply do not want to believe that something horrible can happen for no good reason.

But there’s nobody that I can blame.

The lost jobs, the money I spent at doctor’s offices, the procedures I’ve undergone. There’s no finger that I can point, no lowest bidder that I can chastise for using the wrong 0 ring, no epoxy that I can claim did not live up to its promises.

Even if I believed in him I couldn’t even blame God.

And it wasn’t my parents' fault. They didn’t know what kind of primordial soup their combined DNA would foster; and nobody even knows if this thing is genetic anyway.

Meanwhile I keep on going, this little energizer bunny, having long ago given up on the idea of looking for someone to sue.

2 comments:

Doc Nebula said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that somehow, everything that's gone wrong with your life since college is my fault.

Somehow.

But, you know, I didn't do it on purpose. ;)

Laurie Boris said...

Expect to hear from my lawyers. :)