Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Stuck On You

Today I went for my annual physical. Based on a previous blood test, my doctor wanted me to up my Vitamin D supplements. He told me the amount he wanted me to take every day, and I asked him to write it down so I wouldn't forget (don't trust that memory anymore!). He scribbled it on a sticky note and I put it on the chair next to me in his office, with my things (actually, atop the overshirt I was wearing when I came in).

Then, he wanted me to come into the examination room, but he has a thing about people wearing their shoes in there so he asked me to remove them first.

We finished, and I left, and by the time I arrived at the health food store to buy a larger-dosed Vitamin D, the note had vanished. Couldn't find the damned thing anywhere. His office, by this time, was closed, so I searched my memory for the amount he'd said. 3000 a day? 4000? Oh, whatever, I thought, and just went inside.

As I approached the door to the little mall that housed the not-so-little-anymore health food store, a woman walking behind me got my attention. "Excuse me," she said. "But there's something stuck to your rear end."

You can probably guess what it was. Yep. The doctor's sticky note.

"I just didn't want you to go around looking like that," she said.

I thanked her profusely. She said, "I hope you weren't wearing that for too long."

Only for three previous errands, I thought to myself.

Great. I'd been trolling all over town with a sticky note stuck to my ass.

I'm glad I ran into her. It made me wonder how many other people would bring something like this to someone's attention, or just let them walk around looking like a schmuck.

A question for my dwindling readership: Would you tell someone if they had something stuck to them? Something sticking out of them? Or let them traipse around looking stupid and laugh behind their back?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! Good one. Was the number a big one? (I'll let the humorists take it from here.)

Would I tell someone? Depends on the someone. And if it's on a woman's butt, that raises all sorts of PC risks -- why was I looking THERE and not where I was going!

Pote

Anonymous said...

Absolutely tell. I go around tucking labels on peoples shirts back in so a sticky on the butt -- definitely.

Laurie Boris said...

Pote: That joke was just too obvious, so I'll pass. But unfortunately, the text on the sticky read "3000-4000." That was the amount of Vit. D I was supposed to get.

And no, I suppose it would be hard for guys to get away with this one. ;)

Anonymous: Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Would I tell someone? Only if s/he was a complete stranger or some flavor of acquaintance. On a friend or relative, I'd likely first make some (apparently) out-of-the-blue comment based on the content of the note, thereby wigging out the being attached to the butt in question. Yes, I would reveal the source...
eventually.

BTW - Read a sentence that I think you'll apreciate, but I'll email it when I'm done here.

- P

"bzbja": (n.) Hip-hop incarnation of the "job-jar".