Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Bride Buys A Book... The Bride Buys A Book


I had the privilege and honor to attend my mother's third wedding ceremony last weekend (since I missed the first one and all).

It warmed my heart to see the bride and groom so happy and to be with them as they shared that joy with our combined families.

You never know quite what's going to happen when two families are joined by a pair of wedding bands and a pair of hearts, but I can say that there is one thing that most of us have in common.

As the ceremony in the Brooklyn gallery ended early, and the restaurant where we were to have the reception was not quite ready for the two-dozen or so of us, we had some time to kill. My new sister in law, a very talented artist, who together with her husband, the groom's son, arranged most of the details - said the eight words that are like music to my heart: "who wants to go to Barnes and Noble?"

Not a single dissenting voice was heard.

And with that, we decided, that a new wedding tradition had been formed: the ceremonial tour of a local book store. (And I won't say which one of us took the opportunity to use the stop for some last-minute wedding gift shopping.)

All and all, it was a beautiful afternoon (adorned with two adorable flower girls). I stand (or sit, as the case may be)humbled at the courage my mother and her beloved have shown in this simple but powerful act of trusting their hearts to each other.

Congratulations and Mazel Tov and welcome to the family!

2 comments:

SuperWife said...

Congrats to the whole fam damily, Opus!!

Very sweet post!!

(For some reason, I thought I'd already commented...alas, it appears to have remained in my mind.)

Laurie Boris said...

Thanks, SW! I hate it when those comments stay in my mind...