Thursday, May 24, 2007

False Idols

Call me a cheap entertainment junkie (just don't call me "cheap"), but I couldn’t help myself last night from watching most of the “Idol” finale (or final “reject” show, or whatever the heck they call it), while flipping back and forth between the Mets/Braves and Yankees/Boston games, of course.

And every time I saw Melinda singing, I couldn’t help but think, “Honey, it should have been you.” I imagine that’s what one of the Wynans (BeBe or CeCe, I don’t know which is which) might have been whispering in her ear as they were hugging her after their number.

Yes, Jordin isn’t that bad and Blake, although he doesn’t have the best voice, kicks ass with that beat-boxing thing, but neither of these kids deserved to be in the final two.

Husband says I need to get over this, and Melinda will get lots of work, and she’ll be fine.

And I know it’s just a dumb reality show designed for maximum eyeballs, hang the actual purpose of the thing, but still. I guess it’s just this stupid overdeveloped sense of justice that I can’t seem to shake. And, after all, haven’t the judges been (attempting to) get across all season that this is a SINGING competition?

Problem is, as I’ve mentioned before, the power of this show is in the hands of twelve-year-old girls, all with their own cell phones.

And I wouldn’t blame Simon if he didn’t return next season.

Now back to the actual show. Was it my imagination, or should this have actually been called The Carrie Underwood Show? She had, what, three numbers and an award presented to her?

But it was a kick to see Gladys Knight and Smokey Robinson out strutting their stuff.

I could have done without Sanjaya screeching with Joe Perry, though. Poor Joe. I guess he didn’t mind the publicity (and they probably paid him pretty well), but I can imagine he was cringing as that overblown Fauxhawk butchered every note of Aerosmith’s music.

But I suppose I shouldn’t cry too hard for Melinda. Besides Carrie, how many other “Idol” winners have been more than the flavor of the month?

OK, Fantasia’s on Broadway, but beside that?

Out of all the Idol finalists, Clive Davis announced last night, it’s breakout (and rejected) Idol finalist Chris Doughtry who got the last laugh: his album made more money this year than any other artist (not just Idol artists but ALL artists), and it’s been in the Top Ten for the last six months.

Take that, you Idol voters.

So I guess no matter who gets elected (or selected, according to your political view), good old capitalism will out.

And wasn’t that the original intent of Idol? To find talent that will make the producers a lot of money?

I suppose I shouldn’t be too upset.

After all, I don’t make any money off of it. And I might even have to part with some, when Melinda Doolittle puts out her first album.

No comments: